Contemporary life is surrounded by technology. For most of us, we have gotten so used to computers, cell phones and electricity that we feel like we could never live without them. Despite how useful these machines are, the technologies that we use in our daily lives are not danger free. Here’s one quick story about a cell phone charger to highlight the point. A teenager from Colorado received an Anker PowerCore charger from Amazon, a gift from his grandmother. How nice. The teen settled downstairs to do some homework when he heard a frightening noise. He looked down to see that his backpack was on fire. Acting quickly, he grabbed the bag, ran upstairs and threw the bag outside while his mother grabbed the fire extinguisher. He later said he was alerted when “I heard a fuse for like a firecracker firework go off.” The only injury in this case was that the charger burned a hole in the backpack. For its part, Anker requested that the charger be returned and said it would reimburse the family. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has documented several complaints about these types of chargers. We’ve also heard of similar spontaneous combustion fires started from lithium-ion batteries in cars and laptops. Lesson: Be aware of your electronic products and act quickly if you see smoke or flame.