- We see wealth and income becoming less not more equally shared.
- Craig Finn ‘s I Need a New War and Justin Townes Earle ‘s The Saint of Lost Causes
- When Finn sings, ” I want to give you something to hope for,” over punchy horns and female ” la-la-las,” the intention is sincere but the ability to deliver is doubtful.
- While the band played songs with big, catchy riffs and tumbling momentum about communities of young people trying to find their way, Finn on his own presents quieter, moodier numbers about one or two people, a decade or two older, who’ve lost their way.
- Most of the characters in Finn’s and Earle’s songs are white, working-class folks like themselves, but the songwriters do make an effort to reach beyond their own circles.
Read full article: pastemagazine.com